from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A covering, such as a hat or helmet, for the head.
- n. The part of a harness that fits about a horse's head.
- n. The rigging for hauling or lifting located at the head of a mine shaft.
- n. Nautical The rigging on the forward sails of a craft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything worn on the head, such as a helmet.
- n. The harness that fits on a horse's head.
- n. The lifting gear at the head of a mine or deep well.
- n. the rigging on the foresail
- n. A type of orthodontic appliance attached to dental braces that aids in correcting severe bite problems.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stable gear consisting of any part of a harness that fits about the horse's head
- n. the hoist at the pithead of a mine
- n. clothing for the head
head + gear (Wiktionary)