from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A close-fitting, hip-length, collarless jacket having no sleeves but often extended shoulders, belted and worn over a doublet by men especially in the 16th century.
- n. A short, close-fitting, often sleeveless coat or jacket, usually of leather.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of men's garment popular in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries: a close-fitting collarless jacket, with or without sleeves.
- n. A sleeveless jacket, usually leather; a long waistcoat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A jacket or short coat; a close waistcoat.
- n. A male gyrfalcon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short close-fitting coat or jacket, worn in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
- n. A young salmon: same as ginkin.
- n. The male of the gerfalcon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tight sleeveless and collarless jacket (often made of leather) worn by men in former times
The shade was too deep to make out his face, but Torak saw that like him, he wore a sleeveless buckskin jerkin and knee-length leggings, with light rawhide boots.
Over the jerkin was a leather harness of simple design'two straps across his shoul - ders, coming to the waist and attached to a broad belt whereupon hung his weapons-a sword, a dirk, long and sharp, and a holster containing his big, round-butted air-pistol.
The coat itself is what is called a jerkin; and as the buttons behind are half-way up his back, it is a matter of course that the tail, which runs rapidly to a point, is ludicrously scanty.
Kro-lu, and there I fashion my bow and my arrows and my shield; there I hunt the red deer for the leathern jerkin which is the badge of my new estate.
So I'm just going to let the younguns proceed with the dance craze "jerkin '" and assume that the studio suits who agreed to make a movie based on this trend somehow actually know what they're talking about.
WOW, central america has nooo clue what "jerkin" is.
He looks very fine in a doublet of burgundy velvet with a jerkin over it of black silk and cloth of silver.
I can't stand it when hard lefties like you, Cockburn, Perrin et al start jerkin 'it to the supposed manliness of right wing leaders, even though they support things that disgust you, they GET THINGS DONE, and that should be admired?
Lyra pulled the dagger from her jerkin and plunged it into his stomach.
"As long as you wear the jerkin, you are safe from ball, cut and thrust."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.