from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bony growth on the surface of a bone or tooth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A benign bony growth, often covered with cartilage, on the surface of a bone or tooth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any protuberance of a bone which is not natural; an excrescence or morbid enlargement of a bone.
- n. A knot formed upon or in the wood of trees by disease.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a morbid bony growth on the surface of a bone, arising from bone, periosteum, or articular or epiphyseal cartilage.
- n. In botany, the formation of woody, wart-like excrescences upon the stems or roots of plants.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a benign outgrowth from a bone (usually covered with cartilage)
Greek exostōsis : ex-, out of; see exo- + osteon, bone; see ost- in Indo-European roots + -ōsis, -osis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From ex- + Ancient Greek ὀστέον (osteon, "bone"). (Wiktionary)