from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See rickets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. rickets
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Literally, inflammation of the spine, but commonly applied to the rickets. See rickets.
- n. A disease which produces abortion in the fruit or seeds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A disease of very early life, characterized by a perversion of nutrition of the bones, by which uncalcified osteoid tissue is formed in place of bone, and the resorption of bone is quickened.
- n. In botany, a disease producing abortion of the fruit or seed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. childhood disease caused by deficiency of vitamin D and sunlight associated with impaired metabolism of calcium and phosphorus
- n. inflammation of the vertebral column
New Latin rachītis, inflammation of the spine (adopted because of its similarity in sound to rickets), from Late Greek rhakhītis : Greek rhakhis, spine + Greek -ītis, -itis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
New Latin, from Ancient Greek ῥαχις (rhakhis, "spine, ridge"). (Wiktionary)