from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. Any of various skin diseases, such as eczema, psoriasis, or herpes, characterized by eruptions and itching.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various pustular skin conditions.
- v. To affect with tetter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vesicular disease of the skin; herpes. See herpes.
- transitive v. To affect with tetter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vague name of several cutaneous diseases, as herpes, eczema, and impetigo.
- n. A cutaneous disease of animals, which spreads on the body in different directions, and occasions a troublesome itching. It may be communicated to man.
- To affect with or as with the disease called tetter.
Middle English teter, from Old English; see der- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English teter. (Wiktionary)