American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A thin slice or sliver, as of wood or metal, that is shaved off.
- n. The act of one that shaves.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who shaves; the removal of the beard or hair of the head with a razor; the use of a razor for removing the beard.
- n. A thin slice pared off with a shave, a knife, a plane, or other cutting instrument; especially, a thin slice of wood cut off by a plane or a planing-machine.
- n. In leather manufacturing, a process which follows skiving, and consists in removing inequalities and roughnesses by means of the curriers' knife, leaving the leather of uniform thickness, and with a fine smooth surface on the flesh side.
- n. The act of fleecing or defrauding; swindling.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of one who, or that which, shaves; specifically, the act of cutting off the beard with a razor.
- n. That which is shaved off; a thin slice or strip pared off with a shave, a knife, a plane, or other cutting instrument.
- n. the act of brushing against while passing
- n. the act of removing hair with a razor
- n. a thin fragment or slice (especially of wood) that has been shaved from something
“The president and his aides are apparently too worried about getting caught again shaving intelligence to stop that ....”
“I'm going to posit that shaving is not a matter of me wanting to look like a pre-pubescent girl.”
“After getting covered in shaving cream and stuffed in lockers, it's only fair that Stolhanske gets his moment of vengeance towards his cast members â€ except against Kevin Heffernan's Lars, because Farva always wins in the end.”
“Like back-scratching, shaving is an act much more easily performed on others than on oneself.”
“Besides, you didn't see her topless covered in shaving cream.”
“Her daddy and I both have chocolate hair and I keep praying her hair will darken and grow … maybe shaving is worth it?”
“In the collapsed wreckage of the outhouse he finds a naked little boy covered in shaving cream who calls him "Mommy.”
“I know that shaving is a recent development in the human schemes of things but ... ick.”
“The father was a patriot of the revolution, a pensioner, and advanced beyond the age of eighty, and in shaving the face of the corpse the razor drew a little blood.”
“Studies have shown that men are eager to try alleged improvements in shaving, but they demand results.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shaving’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for shaving.