from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A thin broad piece cut from a larger object.
  • noun An often wedge-shaped piece cut from a larger, usually circular object.
  • noun A portion or share.
  • noun A knife with a broad, thin, flexible blade, used for cutting and serving food.
  • noun A similar implement for spreading printing ink.
  • noun The course of a ball that curves in the direction of the dominant hand of the player propelling it, as to the right of a right-handed player.
  • noun A stroke that causes a ball to follow such a course.
  • noun A ball propelled on such a course.
  • noun A stroke, as in tennis, in which the ball is struck with a downward motion with the open face of the racket in order to impart backspin.
  • intransitive verb To cut or divide into slices.
  • intransitive verb To cut from a larger piece.
  • intransitive verb To cut through or move through with an action like cutting.
  • intransitive verb To divide into portions or shares; parcel out.
  • intransitive verb To reduce or remove from a larger amount or entity.
  • intransitive verb Sports To hit (a ball) with a slice.
  • intransitive verb To make a cut with a cutting implement.
  • intransitive verb To move like a knife.
  • intransitive verb Sports To hit a ball with a slice.
  • idiom (any way/no matter how) No matter how you look at it; no matter how it is analyzed.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To cut into slices, or relatively broad, thin pieces: as, to slice bread, bacon, or an apple.
  • To remove in the form of a slice: sometimes with off or out: as, to slice off a piece of something.
  • To cut; divide.
  • [In the following passage the word is used interjectionally, with no clear meaning.
  • In golf, to draw the face of the club across (the ball) from right to left in the act of hitting it, the result being that it will travel with a curve toward the right; or the reverse for a left-handed player. W. Park, Jr., Game of Golf, glossary.
  • To break with a bar. Bituminous coal, when burned, fuses and forms a solid mass which must be broken up in this manner.
  • In golf, to cause the ball, when struck with the club, to curve from left to right in the case of a right-handed player, or the reverse in the case of a left-handed player.
  • noun A thin broad piece cut off from something: as, a slice of bread or of bacon: often used figuratively.
  • noun A shiver; a splinter.
  • noun Something thin and broad.
  • noun In printing:
  • noun A small spade-shaped iron tool with which printing-ink is taken out of a tub and conveyed to an ink-trough or -fountain.
  • noun The sliding bottom of a slice-galley.
  • noun A bar used by whalers to strip fish with.
  • noun A tapering piece of plank driven between the timbers of a ship before planking. Also called slicer.
  • noun A wedge driven under the keel of a ship when launching.
  • noun A bar with a chisel or spear-headed end, used for stripping off the sheathing or planking of ships.
  • noun A utensil for turning over meat in the frying-pan and for similar purposes. The form is like that of a trowel, the blade being three or four inches wide, twice as long, and often pierced with holes. Also called turn-over.
  • noun A broad, thin knife, usually of silver, for dividing and serving fish at table. Also called fish-slice.
  • noun A bakers' shovel or peel.
  • noun A salver, platter, or tray.
  • noun A mill or machine for slitting or dividing gems.
  • noun In golf, the side spin imparted to a ball which causes it to curve to the right in the case of a right-handed player, or the reverse in the case of a left-handed player.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A thin, broad piece cut off
  • noun obsolete, Cant, obsolete, Cant That which is thin and broad, like a slice.
  • noun obsolete, Cant, obsolete, Cant A broad, thin piece of plaster.
  • noun obsolete, Cant, Cant A salver, platter, or tray.


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English sclice, splinter, from Old French esclice, from esclicier, to splinter, of Germanic origin.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English slice, esclice, from Old French esclice, esclis ("a piece split off"), deverbal of esclicer, esclicier ("to splinter, split up"), from Frankish *slitjan (“to split up”), from Proto-Germanic *slitjanan, from Proto-Germanic *slītanan (“to split, tear apart”), from Proto-Indo-European *slaid-, *sled- (“to rend, injure, crumble”). Akin to Old High German sliz, gisliz ("a tear, rip"), Old High German slīzan ("to tear"), Old English slītan ("to split up"). More at slite, slit.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word slice.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Plural of slouse?

    June 21, 2008

  • Haha! So would the singular of splice be splouse?

    June 24, 2008

  • A hawk's or falcon's dropping which squirts at an angle other than vertical. --from the definitions.

    February 15, 2013