from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A half.
- n. A part, portion, or share.
- n. Anthropology Either of two kinship groups based on unilateral descent that together make up a tribe or society.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Half.
- n. A share or portion.
- n. A specific segment of a molecule.
- n. Each descent group in a culture which is divided exactly into two descent groups.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of two equal parts; a half
- n. An indefinite part; a small part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A half part or share; one of two equal parts: as, a moiety of an estate, of goods, or of profits.
- n. A portion; a share.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of two basic subdivisions of a tribe
- n. one of two (approximately) equal parts
Middle English moite, from Old French meitiet, moitie, from Late Latin medietās, from Latin, middle, from medius, middle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Old French meitié (French moitié), from Latin medietas “half”, from medius “middle, half” (Wiktionary)