American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A half.
- n. A part, portion, or share.
- n. Anthropology Either of two kinship groups based on unilateral descent that together make up a tribe or society.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A half part or share; one of two equal parts: as, a moiety of an estate, of goods, or of profits.
- n. A portion; a share.
- n. Half.
- n. A share or portion.
- n. chemistry A specific segment of a molecule.
- n. anthropology Each descent group in a culture which is divided exactly into two descent groups.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One of two equal parts; a half
- n. An indefinite part; a small part.
- n. one of two basic subdivisions of a tribe
- n. one of two (approximately) equal parts
- From the Old French meitié (French moitié), from Latin medietas “half”, from medius “middle, half” (Wiktionary)
- Middle English moite, from Old French meitiet, moitie, from Late Latin medietās, from Latin, middle, from medius, middle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In addition, by combining a flavine mononucleotide with a protein moiety of Warburg's yellow enzyme, Kuhn and Rudy produced the very first partial synthesis of a fully functional enzyme.”
“The role of this conjugate was not clear at the time, though its level was found to be dynamic and change during differentiation, when the histone moiety is subjected to ubiquitination and de-ubiquitination.”
“-- in other words, a moiety of the whiskey he had drunk.”
“Law French terms such as moiety, femme and baron hark back to a time when all lawyers were required to learn and practice in French because the ruling class had once spoken French.”
“Nor do you introduce yourself with your lineage, clan, or moiety.”
“That she left off her moiety and people amused me.”
“The family belongs to a clan, and the clan to a moiety.”
“The falcon motif of the ruling moiety was tattooed on his face.”
“Stationers 'Hall, previously to this publication, and of your transfer of the moiety of your copyright to Mr Hood.”
“Yet they possess but a small share of that moiety of the whole copyright which is divided among the London Booksellers; for”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘moiety’.
More words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Descriptions of when more than one thing is present. Usually proceeding the word "of"
Example: "Pile" of Junk
words from the world of Bas-Lag
I found most of these words in books! That means they MUST be good.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
I'm always entertained by the terms @immerito tweets using the hashtag #termsfromtoday. As best I can tell, the tag emerged in mid 2011 after a brief flirtation with an alternate hashtag form. You'...
My Favorite Words
Looking for tweets for moiety.