American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To rend or tear apart.
- v. To break into pieces, as by a blow; cleave or split asunder.
- v. To break or distress (the spirit, for example).
- v. To be or become split.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To split; cleave; rend asunder by force: as, to rive timber for rails, etc., with wedges; the oak is riven.
- To cause to pierce; thrust.
- To pierce; stab.
- To explode; discharge.
- Synonyms See rend.
- To be split or rent asunder; fall apart.
- n. A place torn; a rent; a tear.
- n. That which is torn, as with the teeth.
- n. A rake.
- An obsolete or dialectal form of rife.
- n. Bank; shore.
- To land; arrive.
- To go; travel.
- v. transitive To tear apart by force; to split; to cleave.
- v. transitive, archaic To pierce or cleave with a weapon.
- v. intransitive To break apart; to split.
- v. In woodworking, to use a technique of splitting or sawing wood radially from a log (e.g. clapboards).
- n. A place torn; a rent; a rift.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To rend asunder by force; to split; to cleave.
- v. To be split or rent asunder.
- n. Prov. Eng. A place torn; a rent; a rift.
- v. separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument
- v. tear or be torn violently
- From Middle English riven ("to rive"), of North Germanic origin, from Old Norse rīfa ("to rend, tear apart"), from Proto-Germanic *rīfanan (“to tear, scratch”), from Proto-Indo-European *(e)reip- (“to crumble, tear”). Cognate with Danish rive ("to tear"), Old Frisian rīva ("to tear"), Old English ārǣfan ("to let loose, unwrap"), Old Norse ript (rift, "breach of contract"), Norwegian rive ("to tear") and Albanian rrip ("belt, rope"). More at rift. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English riven, from Old Norse rīfa. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Dérive is a Situationist International concept that refers to walking aimlessly, following the smallest whim (never let it be said that you don’t learn anything here at Inhabitat).”
“May 22nd, 2009 at 8: 35 am âWe know where you rive, we know your famiry members, â”
“WASA has begun a $2.6 billion project, the largest the authority has built, to reduce nitrogen and trash flowing to the rive r from its combined sewer overflow system, said George S. Hawkins, WASA general manager.”
“Paris fashion "Saint Laurent: Rive Gauche" exhibits 70 ensembles in a venue remodeled to resemble the first Saint Laurent rive gauche boutique in 1966.”
“I'm at my friend's parents 'home in Paris' rive gauche for their weekly Sunday dinner.”
“A separate statement Sunday said Crown Prince Sultan, the king ' s brother, was scheduled to ar rive back in Saudi Arabia Sunday evening.”
“The net at me house is down because out firewall's hard rive died finally.”
“When an army of corpses animated by cogwork rises from the dark waters of the rive Reine and threatens to upset the balance of power in Veridon, Jacob Burn must discover who is behind this undead atrocity before the city comes crashing down around him.”
“To keep on the Paris analogy, Broadway in Kits, could remind me of Paris Bld St Germain, with which it shares the same width 26 to 30m, not because of the architecture but because of the fair “rive gauche” or gentrified bohemian feeling, provided by urban form, shop mix, restaurants style…:”
“These tests will be part of a broader d rive for stricter monitoring of European financial institutions by the recently created European Banking Authority.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rive’.
words for fighting
( open list, randomness )
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
A list of terms that denote separating one thing from another, or deconstructing a thing into its parts or to a former state. E.g., untie, divorce, unscramble.
Words I should learn/I want to learn/I just learned, with a quotation to help the medicine go down.
some of the interesting words i've had to look up while reading 19th century lit
fast flowing, rapid, confluent words
Some less-than-common words, significant themes, or excellent phrases from my favourite play.
Looking for tweets for rive.