from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To divide (something) into two equal portions or parts.
- transitive v. To lessen or reduce by half: halved the recipe to serve two.
- transitive v. Informal To share (something) equally: The twins halve everything.
- transitive v. Sports To play (a golf game or hole) using the same number of strokes as one's opponent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To reduce to half the original amount.
- v. To divide into two halves.
- v. To make up half of.
- v. To join two pieces of timber etc. by cutting away each for half its thickness at the joining place, and fitting together.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A half.
- transitive v. To divide into two equal parts; ; to be or form half of.
- transitive v. To join, as two pieces of timber, by cutting away each for half its thickness at the joining place, and fitting together.
- transitive v. Of a hole, match, etc., to reach or play in the same number of strokes as an opponent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To divide into two parts, especially two equal parts or halves.
- To join, as two pieces of timber, by cutting away one half or an equal portion in depth of each, so as to let them into each other.
- n. An obsolete variant of half.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. divide by two; divide into halves
"We both played well and probably, you know, a halve is probably a bad result" for Europe, Brewerton said.
No. 8, 193 yards, par 3: Nicklaus and Irwin halve with pars.
No. 14, 415 yards, par 4: Nicklaus and Irwin halve with pars.
Each halve is securable to a user’s face to form a facemask ….
If the emissions halve which is the case for the US and more for W-Europe, that would be a difference of 50 W/m2.
My first impression was that the sign boy simply misspelled "halve".
Not long ago, the United States appeared to be on track to meet the commitment to halve its annual deficit by 2013.
It concluded that the United States is falling behind on a promise it made to other top economic countries to halve its budget deficit by 2013.
One of the largest cuts would halve spending on the Community Services Block Grant program and reduce by nearly half the funding to help low-income people heat their homes.
Amid negotiations to cut spending and raise the nation's borrowing limit, the House rejected several amendments to cut the Pentagon budget, including a measure by Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., to halve the bill's increase in defense spending.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.