from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thin scale, plate, or layer of bone or tissue, as in the gills of a bivalve mollusk or around the minute vascular canals in bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a thin, plate-like structure
- n. the gill of a mushroom.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a thin plate or scale of anything, as a thin scale growing from the petals of certain flowers; or one of the thin plates or scales of which certain shells are composed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thin plate or scale. Specifically
- n. Synonyms See lamina.
- n. plural The British pharmacopœial name for medicated gelatin disks used in ophthalmic practice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thin membrane that is one of the calcified layers that form bones
- n. any of the radiating leaflike spore-producing structures on the underside of the cap of a mushroom or similar fungus
- n. thin plate
Latin lāmella, small thin plate, diminutive of lāmina, thin plate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)