from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Material formed into or considered as a mat: The forest floor had a thick matting of pine needles.
- n. A coarsely woven fabric used for covering floors and similar purposes.
- n. The activity of making mats.
- n. A dull surface or finish.
- n. The process of dulling a surface, as of metal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. mats, a collection of ground coverings
- n. coarse fabric, of the kind used to make mats
- n. a dull surface, often used for surrounding pictures; matte
- v. Present participle of mat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of interweaving or tangling together so as to make a mat; the process of becoming matted.
- n. Mats, in general, or collectively; mat work; a matlike fabric, for use in covering floors, packing articles, and the like; a kind of carpeting made of straw, etc.
- n. Materials for mats.
- n. An ornamental border. See 3d Mat, 4.
- n. A dull, lusterless surface in certain of the arts, as gilding, metal work, glassmaking, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Materials for mats; matwork.
- n. A fabric of some coarse material, as rushes, flags, grass, straw, hemp, bamboo, etc., used for covering floors, as a packing for some kinds of goods, and for various other purposes.
- n. Nautical, a texture made of strands of old rope, or of spun-yarn, beaten flat and interwoven, used to prevent chafing.
- n. The mat of a picture.—
- n. The act or process of producing a dull or roughened surface on metal; specifically, the process of covering plates with varnish in gilding on water-size.
- n. A dull, slightly roughened surface, free from polish, produced by the use of the mat.
- n. In stained glass, color laid on to deaden a surface or to render glass less transparent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. mounting consisting of a border or background for a picture
- n. a covering of coarse fabric (usually of straw or hemp)
Sorry, no etymologies found.