from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The art or process of writing in shorthand.
- n. The art or practice of transcribing speech with a stenograph machine.
- n. Material transcribed in shorthand.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The practice of transcribing speech (primarily for later dictation or testimony), usually using shorthand.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of writing in shorthand, by using abbreviations or characters for whole words; shorthand.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of writing by means of brief signs which represent single sounds, groups of sounds, whole words, or groups of words; shorthand; brachygraphy: a generic term embracing all systems of shorthand, or brief writing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a method of writing rapidly
- n. the act or art of writing in shorthand
steno- + -graphy (Wiktionary)