from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine animals of the phylum Ctenophora, having transparent, gelatinous bodies bearing eight rows of comblike cilia used for swimming. Also called comb jelly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various marine animals of the phylum Ctenophora, having lucent, mucilaginous bodies bearing eight rows of comblike cilia used for swimming.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Ctenophora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the eight fringed or ciliated comb-bearing locomotive organs peculiar to the Ctenophora.
- n. A member of the class Ctenophora; a ctenophoran.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. biradially symmetrical hermaphroditic solitary marine animals resembling jellyfishes having for locomotion eight rows of cilia arranged like teeth in a comb
From New Latin Ctenophora, phylum name : Greek kteis, kten-, comb + New Latin -phora, from neuter pl. of Greek -phoros, -phore.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)