from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An aquatic animal, such as a mollusk or crustacean, that has a shell or shell-like exoskeleton.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An aquatic invertebrate, such as a mollusc or crustacean, that has a shell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any aquatic animal whose external covering consists of a shell, either testaceous, as in oysters, clams, and other mollusks, or crustaceous, as in lobsters and crabs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aquatic animal, not a fish, having a shell, and especially one which comes under popular notice as used for food or for ornament.
- n. A crustaceous animal, or crustacean, as a crab, lobster, shrimp, or prawn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meat of edible aquatic invertebrate with a shell (especially a mollusk or crustacean)
- n. invertebrate having a soft unsegmented body usually enclosed in a shell
shell + fish. (Wiktionary)