from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A child's undergarment consisting of a shirt and pants buttoned together at the waist.
- n. Slang A boy or man who is considered weak or effeminate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Weak, timid, effeminate, ineffectual.
- n. A children's undergarment composed, in part, of panties attached to a waistband.
- n. An ineffectual, weak, or timid person, especially a boy or young man; a sissy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A timid man or boy considered childish or unassertive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a timid man or boy considered childish or unassertive
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But this query is precisely the kind of pantywaist handwringing that rightly goes down in the flood of the he-man Homeland Security strutting that always follows these incidents.
Right-wing talk show hosts brayed that he was exhibiting a "pantywaist" response to the "crisis."
Rosica really means by the phrase “civility, charity, mercy and politeness” is a kind of pantywaist political correctness, void of testicular fortitude, that is so afraid to identify and call out blatant evil in the public square.
Tonight we learned that Sarah Palin doesn't have time for that kind of pantywaist liberal chit chat.
The Europeans are calling him a 'surrender monkey' and a 'pantywaist'.
Obama has a superiority complex AND he's a "pantywaist" for going on "apology tours" and bowing to show respect to Saudi leaders.
All you pantywaist social nerds can kiss my grits!
The State Department, however, was meeting the Red menace with “basic timidity,” he complained to a friend, and Dean Acheson, who became its secretary in 1949, was a “pantywaist,” he told Jones.
Alas, we have a lightweight Harvard lawyer who is too much of a pantywaist to achieve most of his pie-in-the-campaign-sky feel-good agenda.
January 4th, 2010 2: 12 pm ET what a total scumbag loser. only cowardly crooks switch parties after being elected. a pantywaist has more guts!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.