from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A multicellular animal of the subkingdom Metazoa, a division of the animal kingdom in traditional two-kingdom classification systems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any animal that undergoes development from an embryo stage with three tissue layers, namely the ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm. The term applies to all animals except the sponges.
- adj. Having to do with animals that develop from an embryo with three tissue layers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Metazoa.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the Metazoa.
- n. A member of the Metazoa; a metazoön.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any animal of the subkingdom Metazoa; all animals except protozoans and sponges
From New Latin Metazōa, a subdivision of the animal kingdom : meta- + -zōa, pl. of -zōon, animal; see -zoon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Metazoa + -an (Wiktionary)