from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A single- or double-breasted overcoat, usually with concealed buttons and a velvet collar.
- n. Chiefly Northern California & Canada A sofa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A couch, sofa, or loveseat with padded arms and back of the same height, often curved outward at the top.
- n. Any couch or sofa.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a davenport with upright armrests.
- n. a fitted overcoat with a velvet collar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of topcoat, named after the celebrated Earl of Chesterfield.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fitted overcoat with a velvet collar
- n. suave and witty English statesman remembered mostly for letters to his son (1694-1773)
- n. an overstuffed davenport with upright armrests
HELEN O'NEILL _seated above table; _ MISS EASTWOOD _seated below console table_ R. _end of chesterfield; _ ROSALIE _seated_ C. _chesterfield; _
(DUNN _exits_ L. DONOHUE _crosses up_ R. _end of chesterfield to chest up_ R., _starts to cross_ L. _below chesterfield_.
BUT, the cool thing was i was watching this movie in chesterfield, mo and a young couple come in and sit 5 rows in front of us, as i looked toward them i did a double-take because it couldn't be who i thought it was …. then i noticed his arm in a sling and that confirmed it … … as he walked out to get his pregnant wife some popcorn i hollared HEY RANDY 'with a smile he looked toward me and waved … .i followed him outside to an empty lobby and talked to one of the nicest people i had ever met … …. he was former WWE Champ RANDY ORTON!!!!!! im pretty sure he hated the movie too ..
There was no centre table and no cabinet, but a deep, comfortable sofa, which Ellen called a chesterfield, and a "cosy corner," and a Sheraton bureau, and a Sheraton china-cupboard with glass doors.
In England, a Davenport with arms and back of the same height in buttoned leather is also referred to as a chesterfield sofa.
Case-in-point: this lovely "chesterfield" that I found on the side of the road last week.
A bundle of singlesticks and a pair of foils stood in the corner near an open bookcase; a padded "chesterfield" and a few chairs completed the austere furnishing of the cabin.
Where I come from the term 'chesterfield' is interchangeable with the word
Inside are two elegant, dimly lit rooms one reserved for smokers with low tables and chesterfield sofas.
Dimly lit with rough walls of concrete and exposed brick, tufted chesterfield sofas and wooden plank floors, the establishment has a sophisticated masculine feel that's a far cry from the thumping madness of nearby Wyndham Street.