from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a row of upright pointed sticks forming a fence; a pale.
- n. Pointed sticks used in making fences; pales.
- n. A fence made of pales or pickets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of pale.
- n. A pointed stick used to make a fence.
- n. A fence made of palings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Pales, in general; a fence formed with pales or pickets; a limit; an inclosure.
- n. The act of placing pales or stripes on cloth; also, the stripes themselves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Pales or stakes collectively.
- n. A fence formed by connecting pointed vertical stakes by horizontal rails above and below; a picket fence; hence, in general, that which incloses or fences in; in the plural, pales collectively as forming a fence.
- n. Stripes on cloth resembling pales.
- n. The putting of the stripes called pales on cloth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fence made of upright pickets
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I sometimes, indeed, receive a male visitor, at the other side of the paling, which is my grille; but to change my way of life is a dream that does not trouble me.
It was surrounded on three sides by a dyke of stones and sod, topped by a gray and uncertain paling.
Next to your lordly wall, in dignity of enclosure, comes your close-set wooden paling, which is more objectionable, because it commonly means enclosure on a larger scale than people want.
Senar ditandai dari yang paling tipis ke yang paling tebal, artinya senar 1 itu adalah senar yang paling tipis alias paling bawah, sedangkan senar 6 adalah senar yang paling tebal alias yang paling atas.
Enough ..... interest in her is certainly "paling".
Before it is a little garden with flowers, and a paling which is painted.
Hawkins put up the first "paling" fence that had ever adorned the village; and he did not stop there, but whitewashed it.
Her weapon is the nasty, snide attack -- on Obama for "paling around with terrorists," on all liberals as un-American, on critics as "limp, impotent members of of the old boys club" who lack "cajones."
Golkar mengklaim bahwa partai golkar adalah partai yg paling berhasil mereformasi diri.
In the rear, a gate through a low paling fence led to a snug, squat bungalow, built in the California Spanish style and seeming to have been compounded directly from the landscape of which it was so justly a part.