from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A structure of open latticework, especially one used as a support for vines and other creeping plants.
- n. An arbor or arch made of latticework.
- transitive v. To provide with a trellis, especially to train (a vine) on a trellis.
- transitive v. To make (something) in the form of a trellis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An outdoor garden frame which can be used for partitioning a common area.
- n. An outdoor garden frame which can be used to grow vines or other climbing plants.
- n. A kind of graph used in communication theory and encryption.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A structure or frame of crossbarred work, or latticework, used for various purposes, as for screens or for supporting plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To furnish with trellises or trellis-work; especially, to support or train on trellises: as, to trellis a vine.
- To form into trellis-work; interlace; interweave.
- n. A structure of light cross-bars, as of wood, nailed together where they cross one another, or of thin ribbons of metal, or of wire imitating this.
- n. A shed, canopy, summer-house, or the like composed, or partly composed, of trellis-work. Such buildings are utilized especially for the support of growing vines.
- n. In heraldry, same as treille or lattice, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. latticework used to support climbing plants
- v. train on a trellis, as of a vine
The trellis is just on the edge of our lot, and the flowers would be planted in our neighbour's grass, and she's a bit particular about her grass.
Make sure that the stick or trellis is in firm and upright; then plant your peas, pretty thick, and not
If you’d like to grow climbing vegetables in a small space, this simple DIY vegetable trellis is an excellent compliment to a small garden.
As for covering up the electrical panel..... the trellis is a great idea.
Just there climbing over, and falling over a trellis was a trumpet vine.
Just to the left of the kitchen wing is a little plot shut in by privet bushes and a trellis, which is where he says the _fine herbes_ are meant to grow.
Beyond the trellis was a small, lonely garden; beyond the garden was a large, vague, woody space, where a few piles of old timber were disposed, and which he afterwards learned to be a relic of the shipbuilding era described to him by Doctor Prance; and still beyond this again was the charming lake-like estuary he had already admired.
I begin to know what the joy of the grape-vine is in running up the trellis, which is similar to that of the squirrel in running up a tree.
The vine of Christian ministry is people; the trellis is the various organizational structures that exist for the health of the vine.
The trellis is a three bar affair with two of the bars structured from a single piece of steel wire, rounded at the top to shape an arch, ends of the bar extend to for the base for placing the trellis into soil.