from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Deprived of the power to feel or move normally; benumbed: toes numb with cold; too numb with fear to cry out.
- adj. Emotionally unresponsive; indifferent: numb to yet another appeal.
- transitive v. To make or become numb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Without the power of sensation and motion or feeling; insensible.
- adj. Not able to react, surprised, shocked
- v. To cause to become numb.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Enfeebled in, or destitute of, the power of sensation and motion; rendered torpid; benumbed; insensible.
- adj. Producing numbness; benumbing.
- transitive v. To make numb; to deprive of the power of sensation or motion; to render senseless or inert; to deaden; to benumb; to stupefy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Taken; seized.
- Deprived of the power of sensation, as from a stoppage of the circulation; torpid; hence, stupefied; powerless to feel or act: as, fingers numb with cold; numb senses.
- Producing numbness; benumbing.
- Synonyms Benumbed, deadened, paralyzed, insensible.
- To deprive of the power of sensation; dull tho sense of feeling in; benumb; render torpid.
- To render dull; deaden; stupefy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. so frightened as to be unable to move; stunned or paralyzed with terror; petrified
- adj. (followed by `to') not showing human feeling or sensitivity; unresponsive
- adj. lacking sensation
- v. make numb or insensitive
She was flushed, sweating, her expression numb with fear.
In David Hewsons masterful new novel of suspense, Detective Nic Costa, numb from the recent death of his wife, finds himself and his fellow detectives drawn into a strange and terrifying limbothe first of Dantes nine circles of Hell.
In those chill early hours we slept little, huddling together in numb misery and waiting for the sunrise in order to get warm.
But trout fishing has so many little subtle techniques that need to be refined to be truly good at it, and then you have to tie on those teeny flies when your fingers are numb from the cold water ...
Shocked and numb from the Sept. 26 death of her star player, the Arizona coach couldn't fathom a season without Shawntinice Polk.
Which was a hundred-percent improvement from before, when the accident had left him numb from the waist down.
Most folks are just plain numb from being screwed by the Gov constantly ..... and don't give a rat's flatulence.
Shocked and numb from the Sept. 26 death of her star player, the Arizona coach couldn't fathom a season without Shawntinice
Are we so numb from the new things that CGI brings us that we no longer notice what is fantastic vs what is real around us?
His sword arm was a callused club, numb from the elbow down.