from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Breathing with difficulty; gasping: was breathless from running.
- adj. Marked by the suspension of regular breathing, as from tension or excitement: a breathless audience.
- adj. Causing or capable of causing the suspension of regular breathing; tense or exciting: a breathless flight.
- adj. Not breathing; without breath.
- adj. Dead.
- adj. Having no air or breeze; still: a breathless summer day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having difficulty breathing; gasping.
- adj. That makes one hold one's breath (with excitement etc.).
- adj. Not breathing; apparently dead.
- adj. Having no wind; still, calm or airless.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Spent with labor or violent action; out of breath.
- adj. Not breathing; holding the breath, on account of fear, expectation, or intense interest; attended with a holding of the breath.
- adj. Dead.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Without breath; dead.
- Out of breath; spent with labor or exertion.
- That takes away the breath.
- Marked by an apparent forgetfulness to breathe; absorbed; eager; excited.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tending to cause suspension of regular breathing
- adj. appearing dead; not breathing or having no perceptible pulse
- adj. not breathing or able to breathe except with difficulty
The air was in breathless calm, not a needle quivered, and the least sounds of the camp were distinct and clear as trumpet calls.
BEIJING — China joined the world in breathless coverage of the Chilean mine rescue, but when a gas blast killed 21 Chinese miners and trapped 16 Saturday, the national TV evening news didn't say a word.
BEIJING mdash; China joined the world in breathless coverage of the Chilean mine rescue, but when a gas blast killed 21 Chinese miners and trapped ...
Watch in breathless awe as I get my personal pronouns mixed up --
Orphan, flushed, still breathless from the kiss, felt a rare kind of happiness take hold of him; he threw his head back and laughed, and the clouds parted.
Now will someone please let me cut line to kiss the POTUS ass in breathless gratitude?
Who can visit the Grand Canyon and not be in breathless awe?
Sit back and wait in breathless anticipation for your congratulatory email!
Trekkies everywhere have been waiting for this day in breathless anticipation.
You could describe in breathless detail the wine (Century Cellars), the cheese (gorgonzola), and then move on to the good stuff --- swoon over dishy editors, swan over up-coming writers, swing the dishy gossip with the best of 'em.