from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Marked by flames or intense heat.
- adjective Characterized by intense emotion; passionate.
- adjective Of immediate import; urgent.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act or process of consuming by fire.
- noun In metal-working, the act or process of uniting metallic surfaces by fusing them together, or by running molten metal of the same kind between them.
- noun In ceramics, the final firing, as for glazing, fixing the colors, or the like: used somewhat loosely.
- noun Oxidation of iron by keeping it too long at a welding heat.
- Scorching; hot: as, the burning sands of the Sahara.
- Powerful; strong; vehement; ardent.
- Causing excitement, ardor, or enthusiasm; enchaining or demanding attention.
- Synonyms Blazing, flaming, scorching, fiery, hot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective That burns; being on fire; excessively hot; fiery.
- adjective Consuming; intense; inflaming; exciting; vehement; powerful.
- adjective (Bot.) an ornamental shrub (
Euonymus atropurpureus), bearing a crimson berry.
- noun The act of consuming by fire or heat, or of subjecting to the effect of fire or heat; the state of being on fire or excessively heated.
- noun any volatile illuminating oil, as the lighter petroleums (naphtha, benzine), or oil of turpentine (camphine), but esp. a mixture of the latter with alcohol.
- noun a convex lens of considerable size, used for producing an intense heat by converging the sun's rays to a focus.
- noun (Metal.) the furnace in which tin ores are calcined, to sublime the sulphur and arsenic from the pyrites.
- noun a concave mirror, or a combination of plane mirrors, used for the same purpose as a burning glass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb Present participle of
- adjective So hot as to seem to
- adjective Feeling very
- adjective Feeling great
- noun A
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of immediate import
- noun a process in which a substance reacts with oxygen to give heat and light
- noun execution by electricity
- noun a form of torture in which cigarettes or cigars or other hot implements are used to burn the victim's skin
- noun the act of burning something
- noun execution by fire
- noun pain that feels hot as if it were on fire
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.