from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. On fire; ablaze.
- adj. Resembling a flame in brilliance, color, or form: flaming autumn leaves.
- adj. Intense; ardent: flaming passions.
- adj. Informal Used as an intensive: a flaming liberal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. On fire with visible flames.
- adj. Extremely obvious; visibly evident. Typically of a homosexual male.
- adj. Damned, bloody.
- v. Present participle of flame.
- n. vitriolic criticism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Emitting flames; afire; blazing; consuming; illuminating.
- adj. Of the color of flame; high-colored; brilliant; dazzling.
- adj. Ardent; passionate; burning with zeal; irrepressibly earnest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a bright or gaudy color, as bright red or bright orange.
- Same as flamboyant, 2.
- Tending to excite; violent; vehement: as, a flaming harangue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. very intense
- n. the process of combustion of inflammable materials producing heat and light and (often) smoke
- adj. informal intensifiers
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For what you call your flaming zeal, I do not in the least object to it.
He was flaming from the fresh reading of the ripest thought he had expressed, and her verdict stunned him.
Came the lightning, before us, behind us, on every side, bathing us in flaming minutes at a time.
Yes, Zeus, Socrates and I put the flaming in flaming cheese together.
So it must follow that flaming is the new sparkling?
In the sunlight, the chrome-steel of the shaft gleamed in flaming splendor.
In one doorway, cheeks flaming from the struggle, stood Rita, alert as a fawn and ready to flee.
And the contractor woundered why there were things falling out of the sky in flaming pieces, disappearing in the vicinity of the "primary planet for Phobos and Deimos" (the name of the planet is being withheld to protect the guilty), and satellites failing to reach their assigned orbits due to miswiring that prevented separation from the upper stage of the booster!
Not disagreed in flaming, you understand, but simply presented an alternative idea.
Over the city of the Mercenaries we saw a great captive war-balloon that burst even as we looked at it, and fell in flaming wreckage toward the earth.