from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Unable to help oneself; powerless or incompetent.
- adj. Lacking support or protection: They were left helpless in the storm.
- adj. Impossible to control; involuntary: helpless laughter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unable to defend oneself or to act without help.
- adj. Uncontrollable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Destitute of help or strength; unable to help or defend one's self; needing help; feeble; weak.
- adj. Beyond help; irremediable.
- adj. Bringing no help; unaiding.
- adj. Unsupplied; destitute; -- with of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Incapable of acting without assistance; needing help; incapable of self-support or self-defense; feeble; dependent: as, a helpless babe; a helpless, shiftless fellow.
- Incapable of helping; affording no help; unaiding.
- Beyond help; irremediable.
- Unsupplied; destitute.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unable to manage independently
- adj. unable to function; without help
- adj. lacking in or deprived of strength or power
As unexpressed, he feels it in what we called a helpless and oppressed way; as expressed, he feels in a way from which this sense of oppression has vanished.
If we love the creatures of earth, who are so gaily irresponsible, so full of zest, we shall share with them the large-hearted merriment of comradeship, and find that the blessing of the helpless is the key to unlock the world.
Shall we cease to teach our children that of all covetousness, that which would spoil the helpless is the most revolting?
He seemed a forgetful kind of gentleman, and his hands were what I call helpless hands, sir!
He was removed to what they call the helpless ward, where he was well nursed and attended.
I say that as a graduate of the University of Virginia who collapses in helpless laughter whenever I hear someone use the term “Virginia gentleman”.
Attempts at speech result in helpless coughing fits.
When they saw what had happened to the waitress, they stared in helpless horror, horrified by the horrific horrendousness of the situation.
Still, sympathy for the frightened and helpless is no reason to avoid the plain truth: We're in danger of seeing the electoral process hijacked by a massive coalition of the greedy, the cynical and the stupid - aided and abetted by the fearful, the angry, and the hate-filled.
Still, sympathy for the frightened and helpless is no reason to avoid the plain truth: We're in danger of seeing the electoral process hijacked by a massive coalition of the greedy, the cynical and the stupid -- aided and abetted by the fearful, the angry, and the hate-filled.