from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One who or that which soothes; especially (in obsolete use), a flatterer.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who, or that which, soothes.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • adjective archaic comparative form of sooth: more sooth, truer.
  • noun One who, or that which, soothes.
  • noun Canada A plastic device that goes into a baby’s mouth, used to calm and quiet the baby.
  • verb To soothe.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • For AmE, use pacifier instead

    March 31, 2011