from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A projection on a machine part, such as a pawl for controlling the motion of a ratchet wheel in a watch escapement, that engages the teeth of a ratchet wheel to convert reciprocating motion to rotary motion or vice versa.
  • n. A wooden, shovellike potter's tool used for mixing and shaping clay.
  • n. A metal tool used for printing on book bindings.
  • n. A fine brush used for taking up and applying gold leaf.
  • n. A portable platform used for storing or moving cargo or freight.
  • n. A painter's palette.
  • n. A narrow hard bed or straw-filled mattress.
  • n. Chiefly Southern U.S. A temporary bed made from bedding arranged on the floor, especially for a child.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a portable platform, usually designed to be easily moved by a forklift, on which goods can be stacked, for transport or storage.
  • n. A straw bed.
  • n. A makeshift bed.
  • n. A narrow vertical strip.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small and mean bed; a bed of straw.
  • n. A perpendicular band upon an escutcheon, one half the breadth of the pale.
  • n. Same as palette.
  • n.
  • n. A wooden implement used by potters, crucible makers, etc., for forming, beating, and rounding their works. It is oval, round, and of other forms.
  • n. A potter's wheel.
  • n.
  • n. An instrument used to take up gold leaf from the pillow, and to apply it.
  • n. A tool for gilding the backs of books over the bands.
  • n. A board on which a newly molded brick is conveyed to the hack.
  • n.
  • n. A click or pawl for driving a ratchet wheel.
  • n. One of the series of disks or pistons in the chain pump.
  • n. One of the pieces or levers connected with the pendulum of a clock, or the balance of a watch, which receive the immediate impulse of the scape-wheel, or balance wheel.
  • n. In the organ, a valve between the wind chest and the mouth of a pipe or row of pipes.
  • n. One of a pair of shelly plates that protect the siphon tubes of certain bivalves, as the Teredo. See Illust. of Teredo.
  • n. A cup containing three ounces, -- formerly used by surgeons.
  • n. A low movable platform used for temporary storage of objects so that they can be conveniently moved; it is commonly made of wooden boards, about 4 inches high, and typically has openings in the side into which the blades of a fork-lift truck may be inserted so as to lift and move the pallet and the objects on it.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A mattress, couch, or bed, especially one of straw.
  • n. An oval or round wooden instrument used by potters, crucible-makers, etc., for forming, beating, and rounding their wares.
  • n. In gilding, an instrument used to take up the gold-leaves from the pillow, and to apply and extend them.
  • n. In bookbinding: A shallow box of brass, fitted with an end- and side-screw and handle, in which are fastened the types selected for lettering the backs of books.
  • n. A brass plate engraved with the letters to be used for the back of a book, and fitted with a handle: used by book-gilders.
  • n. In painting, same as palette.
  • n. In organ-building, a hinged wooden valve intended to admit or to release the compressed air; especially, a valve operated by a digital of a keyboard, by which the air is admitted to a groove or channel over which stand the pipes belonging to that digital; also, a valve (waste-pallet) which allows the surplus air to escape when the storage-bellows is too full. Also called valve-pallet. See cut under organ.
  • n. A board on which green bricks are carried to the hack or to the drying-place.
  • n. A lip or projection on the point of a pawl engaging the teeth of a wheel, as the pallet on a pendulum or on the arbor of a balance-wheel in a clock or watch, or, in some forms of feed-motions, for transforming a reciprocating motion into a rotary motion, or the reverse. It is always used with the escapement of a clock or watch, whatever its shape. See gathering-pallet.
  • n. A ballast-locker, formerly built in the hold of a ship.
  • n. One of the disks on the chain of a chain-pump.
  • n. In conchology, one of the accessory valves of a mollusk, as of a piddock or teredo. See cut under accessory.
  • n. A headpiece, or cap of fence, of leather, or of leather and metal.
  • n. The crown of the head; the skull; the head.
  • n. In heraldry, a diminutive of the pale, of which it is only one half the breadth. See pale, 5.
  • n. One of the small spatulate or lance-shape calcareous plates which form part of the boring apparatus of the shells of ship-worms of the family Teredinidæ.
  • n. In bell-founding, same as crown, 7 .
  • n. In ceramics, a potters' wheel.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the range of colour characteristic of a particular artist or painting or school of art
  • n. a portable platform for storing or moving goods that are stacked on it
  • n. a mattress filled with straw or a pad made of quilts; used as a bed
  • n. a hand tool with a flat blade used by potters for mixing and shaping clay
  • n. board that provides a flat surface on which artists mix paints and the range of colors used


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English palet, tongue depressor, from Old French palete, small potter's shovel; see palette.
Middle English paillet, from Anglo-Norman, bundle of straw, from paille, straw, from Late Latin palea; see paillasse.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English palet, from Anglo-Norman palete, from Old Norse pallr

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From the Middle English paillet, from Anglo-Norman paillette ("bundle of straw"), from Old French paille ("straw, chaff"), from Latin palea ("chaff")

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Latin palla: to cut; hence a strip of cloth. The diminutive of the pale.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • I was just looking at palliasse and found myself back here.

    July 3, 2012


    Your “palate” is the roof of your mouth, and by extension, your sense of taste. A “palette” is the flat board an artist mixes paint on (or by extension, a range of colors). A “pallet” is either a bed (now rare) or a flat platform onto which goods are loaded.

    January 8, 2011

  • My friend, Titch.

    July 4, 2008