from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A smooth fabric, as of silk or rayon, woven with a glossy face and a dull back.
- n. A garment made of this fabric.
- adj. Made of or covered with satin.
- adj. Glossy, sleek, and smooth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Semi-glossy. Particularly describing a type of paint.
- n. A cloth woven from silk, nylon or polyester with a glossy surface and a dull back. (The same weaving technique applied to cotton produces cloth termed sateen).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A silk cloth, of a thick, close texture, and overshot woof, which has a glossy surface.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A silk material of which the surface is very glossy, and the back not as lustrous as the face.
- Made of satin: as, a satin dress.
- Of the nature of satin; pertaining to or resembling satin; having a satin surface.
- To give a satin finish to; make smooth and glossy on the surface like satin.
- n. A yellow mixture applied to the flesh side of a hide or skin to get a yellow back.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a smooth fabric of silk or rayon; has a glossy face and a dull back
"Roman satin" and what is called "_satin de luxe_" (perhaps because it is not so luxurious as it pretends to be) are effective ground-stuffs easy to work upon; but there is an odour of pretence about satin-faced cotton.
His feet were trapped in satin, he was all trussed up in tulle -- still, we felt his joy.
A body kit including side skirts, rear diffuser and spoiler complete the body modifications and the whole thing's painted in satin while pearl with translucent blue logos and badging.
You will have to put loops on the sides of the dress if you want to secure the sash, as satin is slippery.
I'm sure somewhere on this planet disco satin is still in fashion, but not here.
Third one was a customized Colt Combat Commander in satin nickel.
A girl in satin slips and falls on her bottom, takes the dark hand proffered to her and comes up jiving.
It has a linen-look pink cardstock cover, and it is tied in satin ribbon.
Harry rolled backward over a pile of shoes and sandals and found himself on a reed mat looking up at a gaunt man in a black suit and French beret and a circle of women in short satin skirts and cardboard crowns.
He asked Marcia and Ramirez to scout the animal trainers in Hollywood for a likable monkey, and they came up with a chimpanzee named Oliver, whom they dressed in short satin pants and big white shoes.