from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being pubescent.
- n. The attainment or onset of puberty.
- n. A covering of soft down or short hairs, as on certain plants and insects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being in or reaching puberty.
- n. A covering of fine, soft hairs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being pubescent, or of having arrived at puberty.
- n. A covering of soft short hairs, or down, as one some plants and insects; also, the state of being so covered.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The coming of puberty, or attaining to puberty; the state of being pubescent; puberty.
- n. Hairiness; especially, the fine soft hairs of various insects, etc.; lanugo.
- n. In botany: The condition or character of being pubescent.
- n. The down or hair which grows on many plant-surfaces. See pubescent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the time of life when sex glands become functional
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Pre-pubescence is a tough stage for you obviously.
Thorax thinly covered with long yellow pubescence, which is most dense at the sides of the metathorax; the tibiæ, tarsi, and posterior femora ferruginous; the claw-joint of the tarsi black; the tibiæ and tarsi with black spines; the wings fulvo-hyaline, their apex with a narrow fuscous border, the nervures ferruginous.
The presence of intermediate characters such as pubescence and flower size, however, make it hard to differentiate the two subspecies.
Dr. Brady said that Simon's sterility wasn't simply a matter of low sperm count or low motility, that he had been sterile probably since pubescence, meaning since his first e) aculation.
But when the science begins to accumulate that chemicals may also be damaging our children's health -- may be leading to everything from early onset pubescence to reproductive and developmental abnormalities -- we start to pay closer attention.
He would move from that pre-pubescence to an incredibly awkward teen period — from cherub, to a gangly whippet of a young man.
Below the water's surface, however, the girl's vibrant pubescence is at odds with the dolls' sterile sexuality.
We've been valued customers here since we were in high school, creeping with balled fists, surfing the awkwardness of oily pubescence.
Then there were our teenage years when our mother was gone and the questions of female pubescence abounded.
Moreover, they have not entered — perhaps we should say ‘encountered’ — the hormonally crazy stage of full pubescence.