from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fabric of sheer silk or rayon.
- n. Ornamental accessories, such as ribbons or laces, for women's clothing.
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling the fabric chiffon.
- adj. Made light and fluffy by the addition of beaten egg whites or gelatin: a lemon chiffon pie.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sheer silk or rayon fabric
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any merely ornamental adjunct of a woman's dress, as a bunch of ribbon, lace, etc.
- n. A kind of soft gauzy material used for ruches, trimmings, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bit of feminine finery; something used by women purely for adornment.
- n. A thin gauze.
- n. A thin gauze.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sheer fabric of silk or rayon
This pumpkin chiffon cake is one of my favorite alternatives to pumpkin pie.
Pumpkin chiffon sounds divine — and I agree, doesn’t sound like it needs anything on top, just a cup of coffee to go with it
As it happened, the chiffon was my lady's chemise!
They can be made of cotton velvet, or any kind of chiffon or silky material, in the same simple way as the fringed muslin curtains.
Draped, sensual materials, such as chiffon or lightweight jersey, are a main detail, says Ms. Chang.
If the sun or misfortune has been unkind since age alone these days is not sufficient reason for damaged skin, then it's sometimes not a bad idea to have a sheer or semi-sheer bodice up to the neck, such as chiffon or lace, but I for one don't believe that age alone is sufficient reason to not wear it.
Another pretty style which we seldom meet with was some part of the picture covered with the almost obsolete "ærophane," a kind of chiffon or crape which was much in request even up to fifty years ago.
"You know I always was a queer little beast," said this letter, after a few pages in which such words as "chiffon," "corsage," "lingerie,"
It can be made from any wedding gown fabrics such as chiffon, shantung or satin and may be embellished with laces and beading.
Avoid clinging fabrics such as chiffon and tight clothes.