from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pretended; feigned.
- n. Slang A deceptive outward appearance.
- n. Slang The act of teasing or misleading someone, especially for amusement.
- n. Slang Something, such as a prank, intended as a hoax or joke; a spoof.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deception, hoax, or practical joke.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a composition that imitates or misrepresents somebody's style, usually in a humorous way
- n. a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
- n. something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I feel like they're being uber-respectful to dance music, and it's not a put-on and it's not some kind of post-ironicism or something.
If "Gris-Gris" at times flirts with schtick, the album's closer, an eight-minute incantation called "I Walk on Gilded Splinters," boils off any taint of put-on with its sinister groove, its seething invective and its backing female vocals filled with Creole curses.
In fact, the austerity has always been a bit of a put-on.
So too with the apparent shambling of his act: it is just that, a put-on.
Gerwig's Rose is quirky with a capital "Q", but her performance is not a put-on or a sketch comedy act.
She was dismissive of anyone she considered to be unimportant or – worse – uninteresting, and her "eccentricity" was more of a put-on than she cared to admit.
An American with a put-on Australian accent, a sea-nymph, was listening to us—he said she was rubbing up on him during the story, but I couldn't see it because she was on his other side.
And either was the hit-and-run Albert Pujols "put-on himself" in the 7th inning of Game Five, a key move that led to Allen Craig getting thrown out.
As noted in my last post, Authorers are gaining traction, right up there with Birthers and Truthers, after Bill Ayers 'put-on about ghostwriting Barack Obama's Dreams for my Father was taken as gospel by a colony of right-wing gulls.
That would never happen now, or if it did, it would be a put-on.