from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A historical region in present-day northwest Iran and Azerbaijan. It was settled by the Medes before the 8th century B.C. and later became a province of the Persian Empire. It became a separate kingdom after the death of Alexander the Great, but the region was much disputed and eventually conquered by Arabs (7th century), Turks (10th century), and Mongols (13th century). Persia controlled the region after 1603.
- A country of Transcaucasia north of Iran on the Caspian Sea. It constitutes the northern part of the historical region of Azerbaijan, which was ceded to Russia by Persia in 1813 and 1828. It was a constituent republic of the USSR, known as the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic, from 1936 to 1991. Baku is the capital. Population: 8,120,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. a country in West Asia; official name: Republic of Azerbaijan
- proper n. Iranian Azerbaijan
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a landlocked republic in southwestern Asia; formerly an Asian soviet
AZERBAIJAN - There is no danger of spread of African swine fever virus in Azerbaijan, as the country banned imports of pork and pork fat from the Rostov and other regions of
Ludo Goossens, a justice official, said: "At the moment of first contact with police on the ground, the man indicated that his action was aimed against the Royal Family." update: driver dies after attempted attack on dutch royal family azerbaijan gunman kills 13 at college from guardian: Thirteen people were shot dead and another 13 injured today after a student went on the rampage at his campus in Baku, the capital of the oil-rich Caspian state of Azerbaijan.
Legal counseling for women in Azerbaijan is a highly needed resource for a number or reasons, but it is critical that this counseling is free because the majority of married women relinquish all their income to their spouse.
[…] it seems that liking Armenians in Azerbaijan is kind of being considered a crime.
Secondly, when I look at such Facebook groups anyway, the majority of members are in Azerbaijan and citizens of that country.
But, with very little local reporting on the incident, many such as 27 months in Azerbaijan were at first unsure what exactly had happened.
As Bart Woord from IFLY tweeted a previous similar hooliganism charge against a journalist in Azerbaijan resulted in 2.5 years of prison term.
And this is the reality in Azerbaijan, justice can rarely be found because there is no honesty, nor there is respect to others.
The deal will be signed by Bob Dudley, BP's new chief executive, who is currently visiting the company's operations in Azerbaijan along with his predecessor in the job, Tony Hayward.
The deal would further cement BP's position as one of the largest foreign investors in Azerbaijan, an oil-rich former Soviet republic.