from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The largest city and former official capital of Côte d'Ivoire, in the southern part of the country on an enclosed lagoon of the Gulf of Guinea. Although Yamoussoukro was designated the new capital in 1983, Abidjan remains the administrative center. Population: 2,880,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The de facto capital and largest city of Côte d'Ivoire.
- adj. Of or relating to Abidjan.
- adj. Of the style prevalent in Abidjan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. city recognized by the United States as the capital of the Ivory Coast; largest city of the Ivory Coast
Sorry, no etymologies found.
ABIDJAN: At least five people have been killed in recent attacks on camps of the Baule ethnic group in Ivory Coast, informed sources in Abidjan said.
ABIDJAN AFP - Armed clashes erupted in Abidjan and in central Ivory Coast on Thursday, leaving at least six dead and many more hurt, as the stand-off between two self-declared presidents spread to the streets.
ABIDJAN AFP - Bloody clashes erupted in Abidjan and central Ivory Coast on Thursday, leaving at least 11 dead and many more hurt, as the stand-off between two self-declared presidents spread to the streets.
ABIDJAN - More than 4,000 people held a peaceful march Thursday in Abidjan to protest what they said was a pro-presidential line taken by Ivory Coast's state television with elections due in weeks.
Three days of waiting for results added to the country's political tensions, with many shops in Abidjan's Treichville commercial neighborhood closed and people stockpiling food and fuel in case of violence.
The wait for results added to the country's political tension, with many shops in Abidjan staying closed or closing early and people stockpiling food and fuel in case of trouble.
In December 2008, an agent, who introduced himself as Jean-Michel, approached Ibrahim in Abidjan and asked him if would like to play in Europe.
He said the country's borders and the airport in Abidjan will be closed.
The writer/director has filmed in Abidjan before on a few films and has spent time understanding these people and their lives.
Slum quarters in Abidjan terrify and repel the outsider.