from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb & adjective Yonder.
- pronoun That one or those yonder.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Same as
- That or those, referring to an object at a distance; yonder: now chiefly poetic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Poetic At a distance, but within view; yonder.
- adverb Obs. or Poetic Yonder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- abbreviation knitting
Distant, but within sight.
- pronoun That one or those over there.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb at or in an indicated (usually distant) place (`yon' is archaic and dialectal)
- adjective distant but within sight (`yon' is dialectal)
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The making-up of the Madras into a turban is called "tying a head" (_marré yon tête_); and a prettily folded turban is spoken of as "a head well tied" (_yon tête bien marré_) ....
Such a word as _yonder_ is common enough still; but its corresponding adjective _yon_, as in the phrase "yon man," is usually relegated to our dialects.
If hopes were dupes, fears may be liars; It may be, in yon smoke conceal'd, Your comrades chase e'en now the fliers, And, but for you, possess the field.
"Weather like yon is too good to last," said Mrs. Watson complacently,
And seek in yon green glen the joy that waits our hearts, my Dear.
There is a gentleman that is up in yon lodge on the hill above Glendyer.
And my wife, who cherished her sweet infancy, is now within yon brae.
-- stern duty seals our doom Though here I call yon conscious clouds to witness, Could I pursue the bias of my soul, All friends, all right of parents, I'd disclaim,
a fure yon will not leave me. 'ly the word yon will not go, cruel let me find ye,
What do they call yon, and what is the name of the one whose sale you wish to trace? "