from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A harbor or anchorage; a port.
- n. A place of refuge or rest; a sanctuary.
- transitive v. To put into or provide with a haven.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A harbour or anchorage protected from the sea.
- n. A place of safety; a refuge or sanctuary.
- v. To put into, or provide with a haven.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bay, recess, or inlet of the sea, or the mouth of a river, which affords anchorage and shelter for shipping; a harbor; a port.
- n. A place of safety; a shelter; an asylum.
- transitive v. To shelter, as in a haven.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A harbor; a port; any place which affords good anchorage and a safe station for ships, or in which ships can be sheltered by the land from wind and sea.
- n. Hence A shelter; an asylum; a place of safety.
- To shelter as in a haven.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sheltered port where ships can take on or discharge cargo
- n. a shelter serving as a place of safety or sanctuary
Nebraska safe haven law reveals societal hypocrisy yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Nebraska safe haven law reveals societal hypocrisy'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Officials want to revise the law to limit \'safe haven\' to abandoned newborns one and younger, in line with other states.
Due to hit the App Store in March (the price and release date of the title haven't been revealed),
Due to hit the App Store in March (the price and release date of the title haven't been revealed), Street Fighter IV is the latest entry in the iconic fighting series that first debuted in 1987.
Some have their reservation over the term haven investments, as economically it is not an accurately sound terminology.
Manzanillo, their 3rd "haven" is probably an OK choice (I like it) but is not exactly what comes to mind when I think of 'haven'.
Dodging hounding questions about his pending divorce, Anthony has been taking motorcycle rides as often as possible to escape and spending time at his home in Long Island, "Casa Marc Anthony," which he calls his "haven."
My GPA at the moment is a 3.06 (2 of my classes for this term haven't been graded yet, so that may go up or down a bit).
Due to hit the App Store in March (the price and release date of the title haven't been
May we all be in haven a haft an hour before the devil knows we are dead.
Just like the [borough] beach, community center and yacht club, the park gives local residents a haven from the bustle of life and a chance to reflect on their being while enjoying recreation in a natural surrounding with their family and friends.