from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Sufficient space for a vessel to maneuver; sea room.
- noun A space for a vessel to dock or anchor.
- noun Employment on a vessel.
- noun A job.
- noun A built-in bed or bunk, as on a ship or a train.
- noun A place to sleep or stay; accommodations.
- noun A space where a vehicle can be parked, as for loading.
- intransitive verb To bring (a vessel) to a berth.
- intransitive verb To provide with a berth.
- intransitive verb To come to a berth; dock.
- idiom (a wide berth) Ample space or distance to avoid an unwanted consequence.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Nautical: Sea-room; space kept or to be kept for safety or convenience between a vessel under sail and other vessels or the shore, rocks, etc.: especially in the phrases, also used figuratively, to give a good, clear, or wide berth to, keep a wide berth of (to keep clear of, keep well away from).
- noun Room for a vessel to turn around or to ride at anchor.
- noun A station in which a ship lies or can lie, whether at anchor or at a wharf.
- noun A room or an apartment in a ship where a number of officers or men mess and reside.
- noun The shelf-like space allotted to a passenger in a vessel (and hence in a railroad sleeping-car) as a sleeping-place; a sailor's bunk on board ship; a place for a hammock, or a repository for chests.
- noun A post or an appointment; situation; employment: as, he has got a good berth at last.
- To find a berth for; provide with a “job” or “situation.”
- To occupy as living-quarters on shipboard: used with in.
- Nautical: To assign or allot anchoring-ground to; give space to lie in, as a ship in a dock.
- To allot a berth or berths to: as, to
bertha ship's company.
- noun An obsolete spelling of
- To board; cover with boards: chiefly in ship-building.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Convenient sea room.
- noun A room in which a number of the officers or ship's company mess and reside.
- noun The place where a ship lies when she is at anchor, or at a wharf.
- noun An allotted place; an appointment; situation or employment.
- noun A place in a ship to sleep in; a long box or shelf on the side of a cabin or stateroom, or of a railway car, for sleeping in.
- noun the deck next below the lower gun deck.
- noun to keep at a distance from it.
- transitive verb To give an anchorage to, or a place to lie at; to place in a berth.
- transitive verb To allot or furnish berths to, on shipboard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A fixed
bunkfor sleeping in ( caravans, trains, etc).
Roomfor maneuveringor safety. (Often used in the phrase a wide berth.)
- noun A space for a
shipto mooror a vehicleto park.
- noun A job or position, especially on a ship.
- noun sports
Positionor seedin a tournament bracket.
- noun sports
positionon the field of play
- verb transitive to bring (a ship or vehicle) into its berth
- verb transitive to assign a berth (bunk or position) to
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a bed on a ship or train; usually in tiers
- noun a job in an organization
- verb secure in or as if in a berth or dock
- verb come into or dock at a wharf
- noun a place where a craft can be made fast
- verb provide with a berth
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The other big early test for the title berth comes during the Texas State Fair and the annual clash between Texas and Oklahoma in Dallas.
Kisla earned his title berth with a 3-1 upset of Canon-McMillan's Sam Brownlee, who is ranked No. 1 in Class AAA in the WPIAL.
But getting a label berth enabled Mr. Arthur to get his foot in the door, even if he's still trying to get into the Big Room.
The Warriors earned their title berth with a narrow 27-20 win against Franklin Regional (9-3).
The Buccaneers earned their title berth with a 50-14 win against Kittanning (10-5).
Hempfield earned its title berth with a 40-31 win against Albert Gallatin (4-3).
The Blue Devils earned their title berth with a convincing 59-13 win against Keystone Oaks (4-2).
The Bearcats earned their title berth with a 50-28 semifinal win against Yough.
West Shamokin earned its title berth with victories against Leechburg (25-4, 25-10, 25-11),
The Panthers posted a 6-2 victory against No. 8 Moon in the quarterfinals, then earned a title berth with a convincing 14-2 win against No. 4 seed Belle Vernon Area in the semifinals.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.