from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the parts or spaces into which an area is subdivided.
- n. A separate room, section, or chamber: a storage compartment.
- transitive v. To compartmentalize: "The information has not been compartmented” ( John H. Cushman, Jr.)
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A room, or section, or chamber
- n. One of the parts in which an area is subdivided.
- n. Part of a protein that serves a specific function.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the parts into which an inclosed portion of space is divided, as by partitions, or lines.
- n. One of the sections into which the hold of a ship is divided by water-tight bulkheads.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A part separated from the adjoining parts by a partition or other mechanical means: as, the compartments of a steamship or of a European railway-carriage.
- n. In art, a panel; a cartouche; a coffer; any portion of a work or design separated from the rest by a frame or molding, by being raised or sunk, or in any other way, especially to receive an inscription or a decoration of any kind: as, the compartments of a coffered ceiling; the small sculptured compartments of the portals of the cathedral of Amiens. See cut under calendar.
- n. Specifically, in heraldry, any partition or division of the field.
- n. A division or chamber in any part of a plant or of an animal.
- n. In forestry, the unit of area treated in a working plan. The size and the shape of compartments are determined mainly by topographic features.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a partitioned section, chamber, or separate room within a larger enclosed area
- n. a space into which an area is subdivided
The storage compartment is therefore conveniently accessed from above.
What was left of the main compartment sailed through the sky, thick, black smoke spewing in its wake.
Worst Thing: The zipper cover on the main compartment hangs up and is in the way (poor design).
Howeer, the zipper cover on the main compartment gets in the way, requiring both hands to open the bag.
One main compartment with multiple pockets around the outside.
MISSES “The zipper cover on the main compartment gets in the way.” —
The ability to access the main compartment from either side is a very handy feature.
Christie was always acclaimed for her plots (usually at the expense of her credibility as a ‘literary’ author – quite unfair in my estimation) and the way that she handles a cast of a dozen or more suspects, trapped on their snowbound train with the reviled child murderer, Cassetti, lying stabbed in his compartment, is magisterial.
The new packaging design also allows consumers to quickly recognize that batteries are included with the alarms and the battery compartment is easily accessible from the front of the alarm, making it much more convenient to change or replace batteries.
The big black windows make the train compartment look tiny and tight.