from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A framed section of a window or door that is usually filled with a sheet of glass or other transparent material.
  • n. The transparent material used to fill such a section.
  • n. A panel, as of a door or wall.
  • n. One of the flat surfaces or facets of an object, such as a bolt, having many sides.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An individual sheet of glass in a window.
  • n. A layer in the build-up of a GUI.
  • n. Alternative spelling of peen.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The narrow edge of a hammer head. See peen.
  • n. A division; a distinct piece, limited part, or compartment of any surface; a patch; hence, a square of a checkered or plaided pattern.
  • n. One of the openings in a slashed garment, showing the bright colored silk, or the like, within; hence, the piece of colored or other stuff so shown.
  • n.
  • n. A compartment of a surface, or a flat space; hence, one side or face of a building.
  • n. Especially, in modern use, the glass in one compartment of a window sash; a windowpane.
  • n. In irrigating, a subdivision of an irrigated surface between a feeder and an outlet drain.
  • n.
  • n. One of the flat surfaces, or facets, of any object having several sides.
  • n. One of the eight facets surrounding the table of a brilliant cut diamond.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To insert panes or panels in. See paned.
  • n. A distinct part or piece of any surface; a division; specifically, a marked division in a wall or fence.
  • n. . A pale; a stake.
  • n. In costume: A piece of cloth of a different color inserted in a garment for ornament; a stripe or panel inserted in a garment.
  • n. An opening or slash in a dress, either for the purpose of displaying a garment underneath or for the insertion of a piece of cloth of another color or fabric.
  • n. A skirt, as of a coat; a lappet or flap; also, a robe.
  • n. A piece, part, or portion having mainly a plane surface and a rectangular or other definite symmetrical shape.
  • n. A square in a checkered pattern.
  • n. A flat-dressed side or face of a stone or log.
  • n. A panel or division of a work; a sunken part surrounded by a border.
  • n. In irrigation, a subdivision of the irrigated surface between a feeder and an outlet-drain.
  • n. The side of a tower, spire, or other building.
  • n. One of the eight sides of the table of brilliant-cut diamond.
  • n. One of the sides of a bolt-head or large nut. Nuts are designated according to the number of sides, as six-paned nuts, eight-paned nuts, etc.
  • n. A hide or side of fur; fur.
  • n. The striking face of a hammer.
  • n. In milling: The space between two leader-furrows in a millstone; the space from one leader-furrow to the next.
  • n. One of the burstones which form the face of a millstone.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. street name for lysergic acid diethylamide
  • n. a panel or section of panels in a wall or door
  • n. sheet glass cut in shapes for windows or doors


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English, section, pane of glass, from Old French pan, piece of cloth, panel, from Latin pannus, cloth.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English pane, pan, from Old French pan, from Latin pannus.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • JM knows a very bad glassblower who inhaled and got a pane in the stomach.

    May 25, 2011