from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A painful wrenching or laceration of the ligaments of a joint.
- n. The condition resulting from a sprain.
- transitive v. To cause a sprain to (a joint or ligament).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or result of spraining; lameness caused by spraining; as, a bad sprain of the wrist.
- v. To weaken, as a joint, ligament, or muscle, by sudden and excessive exertion, as by wrenching; to overstrain, or stretch injuriously, but without luxation; as, to sprain one's ankle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To weaken, as a joint, ligament, or muscle, by sudden and excessive exertion, as by wrenching; to overstrain, or stretch injuriously, but without luxation.
- n. The act or result of spraining; lameness caused by spraining.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To press; push.
- To overstrain, as the muscles or ligaments of a joint so as to injure them, but without luxation or dislocation.
- n. A violent straining or wrenching of the soft parts surrounding a joint, without dislocation.
- n. The injury caused by spraining; a sprained joint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. twist suddenly so as to sprain
- n. a painful injury to a joint caused by a sudden wrenching of its ligaments
Hollins, who has missed the past week with a mild ankle sprain, is averaging 12.2 points and 10.4 rebounds for Fort Worth. ...
It seems that one of the things that happens with a sprain is "proprioceptive deficit" which is a fancy way to say that you joint ability to "sense" where it is vs where it should be is reduced.
They are similar to what is commonly called a sprain, but as they are
A third-degree sprain translates into a ligament tear.
Nowitzki turns his ankle on Sunday, McGrady’s back tightens up last night … if Gilbert’s sprain is not bad, 2 weeks might be doable since you know he’s going to go 24-hr rehab.
When the MRI came back, he did have a deltoid side ankle ligament sprain, which is what we saw all the bleeding from last night….
"He has a high ankle sprain, which is a much more difficult sprain," Lowe said.
-- A sprain is usually the result of some involuntary stress coming upon the part.
A twist or strain of the ligaments and soft parts about a joint is known as a sprain, and may result from a great variety of accidents.
-- A sprain is the tearing of the ligaments or capsule of a joint and bursting of small blood vessels, and swelling.