from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long, straight, narrow cut or opening.
- transitive v. To make a slit or slits in.
- transitive v. To cut lengthwise into strips; split.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A narrow cut or opening; a slot.
- n. The opening of the vagina.
- n. A derogatory name for a woman, usually a sexually loose woman; a prostitute.
- v. To cut a narrow opening.
- v. To split in two parts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- 3d. pers. sing. pres. of slide.
- n. A long cut; a narrow opening.
- transitive v. To cut lengthwise; to cut into long pieces or strips
- transitive v. To cut or make a long fissure in or upon.
- transitive v. To cut; to sever; to divide.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cut asunder; cleave; split; rend; sever.
- To cut lengthwise or into long pieces or strips: as, the gale has slit the sails into ribbons.
- To cut or make a long fissure in; slash.
- n. A long cut or rent; a narrow opening.
- n. A pocket.
- n. A cleft or crack in the breast of fat cattle.
- n. In coal-mining, a short heading connecting two other headings.
- n. Specifically, in zoöl., anat., and embryology, a visceral cleft; one of the series of paired (right and left) openings in the front and sides of the head and neck of every vertebrate embryo, some of which or all may disappear, or some of which may persist as gill-slits or their equivalents; a branchial, pharyngeal, etc., slit.
- n. A Middle English contracted form of slideth, third person singular present indicative of slide.
- n. In optics, the narrow opening through which a beam of light is admitted into the tube of a spectroscope or other optical instrument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a narrow fissure
- v. cut a slit into
- n. a long narrow opening
- v. make a clean cut through
- n. a depression scratched or carved into a surface
- n. obscene terms for female genitals
In fact, as already explained, _every point of the wave which fills the slit is itself a centre of a new wave system which is transmitted in all directions through the ether behind the slit_.
Christian thinks the thigh slit is a little high, but Heidi loves it.
Her slit is stretched out and smelly, but she lets us use Vaseline in the rolls of her belly fat.
On the few occasions when they did meet, she wore a niqab, which covers all of the face except for a thin slit for the eyes.
A 50/50 slit is more than fair for either candidate seeing as the states are the ones who broke the rules.
The double-slit is a fundamental, irreducible quantum phenomenon.
The double slit is the same thing as 1-photon state entanglement, so in examining entanglement experiments, you will come back to this same irreducibly strange feature of quantum mechanics.
In the first place, a slit is made on each side and above and below a leaf which has a healthy bud in its axil, that is, just between the foot-stalk of the leaf and the branch on which it grows.
I mentally pronounce it "slit" - which reinforces the idea that it's a
A long slit is then made in the bark of the stock, with a cross slit at the top, and, the bark being gently raised at each of the corners made by the intersection of the long slit and the horizontal slit, the piece of bark with the bud attached is carefully introduced under the bark of the stock, which is closed over it, and bound tightly with a bit of bast mat, in order that the bark containing the new bud may be pressed as closely to the wood of the stock as possible.