from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A V-shaped cut.
- n. Such a cut used for keeping a record.
- n. A narrow pass between mountains.
- n. Informal A level or degree: a notch or two higher in quality.
- transitive v. To cut a notch in.
- transitive v. To record by or as if by making notches: notched the score on a stick.
- transitive v. Informal To achieve; score: notched 30 wins in a single season.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A V-shaped cut.
- n. Such a cut, used for keeping a record
- n. An indentation.
- n. A mountain pass; a defile
- n. A level or degree.
- v. To cut a notch in (something).
- v. To record (a score or similar) by making notches on something.
- v. To join by means of notches.
- v. : (transitive) To achieve (something).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hollow cut in anything; a nick; an indentation.
- n. A narrow passage between two elevations; a deep, close pass; a defile.
- transitive v. To cut or make notches in; to indent; also, to score by notches.
- transitive v. To fit the notch of (an arrow) to the string.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cut a notch or notches in; indent; nick; hack; as, to notch a stick.
- To place in a notch; fit to a string by the notch, as an arrow.
- In cricket, to mark or score; have as score the number of.
- To make an undercut in (a tree) preparatory to felling (it). Also undercut.
- n. A nick or indentation; a small hollow or nick cut or sunk in anything, as in the end of an arrow for the reception of the bowstring.
- n. In carpentry, a hollow cut in the face of a piece of timber for the reception of another piece.
- n. A narrow defile or passage between mountains; or, more properly, the entrance to such a defile, when it is nearly closed by precipices or walls of rock on either hand.
- n. A step or degree; a grade.
- n. A point in the game of cricket.
- n. In zoology and anatomy, an incision or incisure; an emargination: as, the interclavicular notch, the depression over the breast-bone between the prominent ends of the clavicles.
- n. In armor, the bouche of a shield.
- n. The large notch of the maxilla that forms the lateral and lower boundary of the entrance to the nasal cavity.
- n. The posterior or lower angle, formed by the meeting of the pubic bones. Same as pubic arch.
- n. Same as undercut, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cut or make a notch into
- n. a V-shaped indentation
- v. notch a surface to record something
- n. the location in a range of mountains of a geological formation that is lower than the surrounding peaks
- n. a small cut
- n. a V-shaped or U-shaped indentation carved or scratched into a surface
Anything to take down the ELPD a notch is great in my book.
My Places tumblr facebook friendfeed soundcloud youtube flickr last. fm twango ebay vimeo technorati twitter linked in notch up skitch
Shakira has always been crazysexycool, but this time she brings it down a notch from the oversexed electro-pop of "She Wolf."
The seafood is of course what takes this dish up a notch from the frittata, but if you have to run out and buy them, in other words plan for this dish, it is still worth it -- maybe just not as fun as knowing you whipped it up at the last minute.
This notch is located under the firing pin, and this notch prevents the firing pin from moving forward.
I should be taking more pain relievers. 4 mos post-op things should be top notch is what the doc says. datingjesus
Can't see typical open sights well though, dand rear notch is too small, but a post and rear peep works great!
The next notch is to complete the Southern Parkway between Avon street extended and 5th street extended.
The alert went up a notch from the code yellow, which indicates an elevated threat, to code orange, which indicates a high threat.
This first notch is less than a third of my proposed journey up the island, and I've already used up nine-tenths of my normal energies.