from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A rounded protuberance.
  • n. A rounded handle, as on a drawer or door.
  • n. A rounded control switch or dial.
  • n. A prominent rounded hill or mountain.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A rounded protuberance, handle, or control switch.
  • n. A prominent rounded hill.
  • n. A rounded ornament on the hilt of an edged weapon; a pommel.
  • n. A prominent, rounded bump along a mountain ridge.
  • n. A penis.
  • n. A contemptible person.
  • n. A dollop, an amount just larger than a spoonful (usually referring to butter)
  • v. To have sex with.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A hard protuberance; a hard swelling or rising; a bunch; a lump.
  • n. A knoblike ornament or handle.
  • n. A rounded hill or mountain.
  • n. See Knop.
  • intransitive v. To grow into knobs or bunches; to become knobbed.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To grow into knobs; bunch.
  • To produce a knob or knobs upon.
  • To free from knobs, as stone in the quarry, in rough-dressing it.
  • n. A rounded projection; a protuberance; a bunch; a knop.
  • n. A fleshy protuberance; a pimple.
  • n. A rounded projection forming the termination of something, as of a staff: specifically, the more or less ballshaped part of the handle for a door, drawer, or the like.
  • n. A prominent isolated hill; a hill generally: same as mound in Wisconsin and Iowa, and butte in the Cordilleran region. [Southern and western U. S.]
  • n. In entomology, a dilated outer portion of a part. Specifically — An expanded apical portion of an insect's antenna, as in a butterfly. In Diptera, the capitulum or outer portion of the halter or balancer. The distended outer portion of a fly's proboscis.
  • n. In a cannon, the spherical part at the rear end of the piece, forming the opposite extremity to the muzzle: it is a part of the cascabel. In ships' guns a breeching-loop takes the place of the knob.
  • n. In architecture, specifically, a bunch of leaves, flowers, or similar ornaments, as the boss at the intersection of ribs, the end of a label or other molding, or a bunch of foliage in a capital. In this sense also called knop and knot. See cut under boss.
  • n. Same as knobstick.
  • n. The rudiment of a deer's antler. Compare knobber.
  • n. A small flock, less than 30, of ducks: an English sporting-term.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a round handle
  • n. an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger
  • n. a circular rounded projection or protuberance
  • n. any thickened enlargement


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English knobbe, from Middle Low German, knot in wood.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English knobbe, from Middle Low German knobbe, knoppe ("a knot in wood"), from Proto-Germanic *knuppô (“lump, clod”), from Proto-Indo-European *gneub-, *gneup- (“to press, crush”). Cognate with Dutch knop ("button, knob"), German Knopf ("button, knob"), Swedish knopp ("knob"), Old English cnoppa ("knob"). See also knop.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • UK slang for penis.

    February 29, 2008

  • Seems somehow appropriate!

    November 5, 2007

  • Bonk in reverse.

    January 29, 2007