from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A protruding rim, edge, rib, or collar, as on a wheel or a pipe shaft, used to strengthen an object, hold it in place, or attach it to another object.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An external or internal rib or rim, used either to add strength or to hold something in place.
- n. The projecting edge of a rigid or semi-rigid component.
- n. An ability in a role-playing game which is not commonly available, overpowered or arbitrarily imposed by the referees.
- n. A vulva.
- n. The collective noun for a group of baboons.
- v. To be bent into a flange.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An external or internal rib, or rim, for strength, as the flange of an iron beam; or for a guide, as the flange of a car wheel (see car wheel.); or for attachment to another object, as the flange on the end of a pipe, steam cylinder, etc.
- n. A plate or ring to form a rim at the end of a pipe when fastened to the pipe.
- intransitive v. To be bent into a flange.
- transitive v. To make a flange on; to furnish with a flange.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To project out.
- To be bent into a flange; take the form of a flange.
- To furnish with a flange; make a flange on.
- n. A projecting edge, rim, or rib on any object, as the rims by which cast-iron pipes are connected together, or the marginal projections on the tires of railroad-car wheels to keep them on the rails.
- n. A strengthening rib: as, the flange of a fish-bellied rail or girder.
- n. A plate placed over the end of a pipe or cylinder to close it partly or wholly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a projection used for strength or for attaching to another object
Last week, as you remember, we removed the stub of the riser pipe and we put in what we call a flange spool.
While about 3 to 6 feet of the broken south tower legs and the other wide flange is still in place.
That paved the way for the installation of a pipe-like connector called a flange spool that will sit on top of the spewing well bore.
The flange is the two disc like metal parts that allow them to connect the various units together and would have absolutely no oil leaking out.
Then a 12-foot-long piece of equipment called a flange transition spool will be lowered and bolted over it.
The flange has to be taken off so another piece of equipment called a flange spool can go over the drill pipe, where the sealing cap will be connected.
Flush with the flange is a flat outer ring with engraved gold-on-black tachymeter scale.
The spout is provided with a flange, which is welded to the bag's inner layer during bag's 166
This plate, full of cops, is now placed in the dye-vessel and rests upon a flange which is provided for that purpose.
To prevent the small gland being jammed by unequal screwing up, the pressure is applied by a loose flange which is rounded at the part which presses against the gland.