from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The upper or outer edge of an object, especially when curved or circular. synonym: border.
- noun The upper edge of a steep slope; a cliff or brink.
- noun The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.
- noun A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.
- transitive verb To furnish with a rim.
- transitive verb Sports To roll around the rim of (a basket or golf cup, for example) without falling in.
- transitive verb Vulgar Slang To perform anilingus on.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To surround with a rim or border; form a rim round.
- To plow or slash the sides of, as mackerel, to make them seem fatter.
- noun The pawl-race or ratchet-ring of a capstan.
- noun The border, edge, or margin of anything, whether forming part of the thing itself, or separate from it and surrounding or partly surrounding it, most commonly a circular border, often raised above the inclosed surface: as, the rim of a hat.
- noun Specifically In a wheel, the circular part furthest from the axle, connected by spokes to the hub, nave, or boss.
- noun Synonyms The rim of a vessel; the brim of a cup or goblet; the brink, verge, or edge of a precipice; the margin of a brook or a book; the border of a garment or a country.
- noun A membrane.
- noun The membrane inclosing the intestines; the peritoneum; hence, loosely, the intestines; the belly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The border, edge, or margin of a thing, usually of something circular or curving.
- noun obsolete The lower part of the abdomen.
- noun (Phonetics) the line between the gums and the palate.
- noun (Mil.) See under
- noun See under
- transitive verb To furnish with a rim; to border.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
edgearound something, especially when circular.
- noun automotive, cycling
- verb To form a rim on.
- verb To follow the
contours, possibly creating a circuit
- verb of a ball To roll around a rim.
- verb slang to lick the anus of a partner as part of the sexual act.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (basketball) the hoop from which the net is suspended
- verb run around the rim of
- noun the outer part of a wheel to which the tire is attached
- verb furnish with a rim
- noun the top edge of a vessel or other container
- noun the shape of a raised edge of a more or less circular object
- noun a projection used for strength or for attaching to another object
- verb roll around the rim of
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English, from Old English rima.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Old English rima.
Sorry, no example sentences found.