from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A removable or hinged cover for a hollow receptacle or box.
  • noun An eyelid.
  • noun Biology A flaplike covering, such as an operculum.
  • noun A curb, restraint, or limit.
  • noun Informal An act of concealment; a cover.
  • noun Slang A hat.
  • noun Slang An ounce of marijuana.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To put a lid on (something); put a cover on; hide.
  • noun A movable cover which closes an aperture or shuts in a cavity, and usually forms an integral part of the structure to which it belongs by being either attached or closely fitted to it: as, the lid of a tea-kettle, stove, chest, or desk.
  • noun In botany, the upper section of a pyxis, which separates by a transverse line; also, the hood of the leaf in the pitcher-plants; in mosses, the operculum.
  • noun An eyelid.
  • noun In coal-mining, a short piece of timber placed on top of a prop to help in supporting the roof.
  • noun A coverlet. —
  • noun One of the covers or boards of a book: as, everything between the lids of the Bible.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun That which covers the opening of a vessel or box, etc.; a movable cover.
  • noun The cover of the eye; an eyelid.
  • noun The cover of the spore cases of mosses.
  • noun A calyx which separates from the flower, and falls off in a single piece, as in the Australian Eucalypti.
  • noun The top of an ovary which opens transversely, as in the fruit of the purslane and the tree which yields Brazil nuts.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun The top or cover of a container.
  • noun slang A cap or hat.
  • noun slang One ounce of cannabis.
  • noun surfing, slang A bodyboard or bodyboarder.
  • noun slang A motorcyclist's crash helmet.
  • noun slang In amateur radio, an incompetent operator.
  • noun abbreviation Eyelid.
  • verb To put a lid on something.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun headdress that protects the head from bad weather; has shaped crown and usually a brim
  • noun either of two folds of skin that can be moved to cover or open the eye
  • noun a movable top or cover (hinged or separate) for closing the opening at the top of a box, chest, jar, pan, etc.


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English, from Old English hlid; see klei- in Indo-European roots.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Old English hlid, from Proto-Germanic *hlidan (compare Dutch lid, German Lid ("eyelid"), Swedish lid ("gate")), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱlíto (“post, trimmed log”) (compare Old Norse hlíð ("slope"), Welsh clwyd ("gate, hurdle"), Latin clitellae ("pack saddle"), Lithuanian šlìtė ("ladder"), pã-šlitas ("curved"), Russian калитка (kalitka, "gate"), Ancient Greek ἄκλιτος (áklitos, "stable"), δικλίς (diklís, "double-posted (doors, gates)"), Yazghulami xad 'ladder', Sanskrit श्रित (śrita, "standing on, lying on, being on, fixed on, situated in"), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱley- (“to lean”). More at lean.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word lid.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.