from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The tough white fibrous outer envelope of tissue covering all of the eyeball except the cornea. Also called sclerotic, sclerotic coat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The white of the eye. It is the tough outer coat of the eye that covers the eyeball except for the cornea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sclerotic coat of the eyeball.
- n. The test of the crustaceans, especially those parts of the test which separate the corneal lenses in aggregated schizochroal eyes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the whitish fibrous membrane (albuginea) that with the cornea forms the outer covering and protection of the eyeball
The white portion of the eye is called the sclera; it is the outer covering of the eye.
• In January 2008, London's The Sun found a practitioner of a new art form in which a design is inked, with a tattoo needle, into the sclera, which is the white part of the eyeball.
In January 2008, Londons The Sun found a practitioner of a new art form in which a design is inked, with a tattoo needle, into the sclera, which is the white part of the eyeball.
First it forms, with the sclera, which is a protective physical barrier that shields the inner eye from the external environment.
Open eyelids -- the destiny (salvation, damnation, hell). upper lid is raised and the lower lid is drawn Theodicy deals with the problem of evil, down, often exposing the white sclera which is the difficulty of reconciling an above and below the iris.
My mother made her meatloaf with hard boiled eggs inserted in the middle, so when you cut a slice, a yellow pupil and hard white sclera stared up from your plate.
My mother made her meatloaf with hard-boiled eggs inserted in the middle, so when you cut a slice a yellow pupil and hard white sclera stared up from your plate.
I icterus - yellowness of the whites of the eyes (sclera). immune system - the collection of cells and organs that together act to fight infection.
S scleral icterus - yellow discoloration of the whites of the eyes (the sclera).
Eyes so much deeper, that the internal flow could not hope to equal the intensity fired beyond iris, pupil and sclera.