from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine cephalopod mollusks of the genus Loligo and related genera, having a usually elongated body, ten arms surrounding the mouth, a vestigial internal shell, and a pair of triangular or rounded fins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several carnivorous marine cephalopod mollusks, of the order Teuthida, having a mantle, eight arms, and a pair of tentacles
- n. A fishhook with a piece of bright lead, bone, or other substance fastened on its shank to imitate a squid.
- n. A sailor in the Navy.
- n. A quid; one pound sterling.
- n. A motorcyclist characterized by lack of riding gear, reckless/careless/unsafe riding, especially of sport bikers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous species of ten-armed cephalopods having a long, tapered body, and a caudal fin on each side; especially, any species of Loligo, Ommastrephes, and related genera. See calamary, decacerata, dibranchiata.
- n. A fishhook with a piece of bright lead, bone, or other substance, fastened on its shank to imitate a squid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of cuttlefish or calamary; a dibranchiate cephalopod with ten arms, especially of the family Loliginidæ or Teuthididæ.
- n. An artificial bait or lure of metal, ivory, etc., used in angling or trolling for fish, often simply a fish-hook on the shank of which a mass of lead is melted in cylindrical or tapering form to imitate a squid (def. 1).
- To fish with a squid or spoon-bait.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Italian cuisine) squid prepared as food
- n. widely distributed fast-moving ten-armed cephalopod mollusk having a long tapered body with triangular tail fins
0.0.0.0: 3128 0.0.0.0: * LISTEN 12384 / (squid) ifeatu@ubuntu: / etc / squid$ here is the error I get when I redirect all firefox traffic thru the proxy ...
So if the squid is associated with females and vaginae, and Doctor Manhattan is associated with penises,
The giant squid is an "eat the crew, ask questions later" kind of cephalopod
"Rapid changes of intracellular free calcium concentration: detection by metallochromic indicator dyes in squid giant axon," Biophys.
Nothing a writer says surprises me anymore, not even if Jeff VanderMeer told me he did his first drafts while dangling naked upside from a coconut palm, writing in squid ink through the hollowed fingerbone of William S. Burroughs.
Place pan in oven to cook for 5 minutes until shrimps become pink and squid is slightly brown at the edge.
Next time we do meat and not fish; getting four whole squid is intimidating!
To some, that squid is simply a bizarre natural phenomenon.
But, yes, the only known specimen of an iron squid is now in my keeping.
I am still looking forward to this movie and will be seeing on opening day and I except to be giggling with pleasure the entire time (up to the end), but the squid is what makes the story brilliant.