from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A soft, amorphous mass.
  • n. A daub, as of color.
  • transitive v. To splash or daub with blobs; splotch.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A shapeless or amorphous mass; a vague shape or amount, especially of a liquid or semisolid substance; a clump, group or collection that lacks definite shape.
  • n. A bubble, a bleb.
  • n. A small freshwater fish (Uranidea richardsoni); the miller's thumb.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Something blunt and round; a small drop or lump of something viscid or thick; a drop; a bubble; a blister.
  • n. A small fresh-water fish (Uranidea Richardsoni); the miller's thumb.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A small globe of liquid; a dewdrop; a blister; a bubble; a small lump, splotch, or daub.
  • n. The bag of a honey-bee.
  • n. The under lip.
  • n. A cottoid fish, Uranidea richardsoni, a kind of miller's-thumb.
  • n. In cricket, no score; zero; a duck's-egg (which see).

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an indistinct shapeless form
  • v. make a spot or mark onto


From Middle English blober, bubble, bubbling, probably of imitative origin.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Possibly formed through mimesis, similarly to bleb and blubber. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.