from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Medicine A wart.
- n. Biology A wartlike projection, as on the back of a toad or on some leaves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wart, especially one that grows on the foot, caused by a virus.
- n. A rounded projection or wart.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wart.
- n. A wartlike elevation or roughness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a wart.
- n. In botany, a wart or sessile gland produced upon various parts of plants, especially upon a thallus.
- n. In zoology, a small, flattish, wart-like prominence; a verruciform tubercle.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of cirripeds, typical of the family Verrucidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (pathology) a firm abnormal elevated blemish on the skin; caused by a virus
Its mildest phase is the so-called verruca necrogenica.
Hog warts, after all, are exactly the kind of ingredient that would slot snugly into Heston's Blumenthal's repertoire, paired with gnat cataracts and shavings of unicorn verruca, perhaps.
Do you ever get much opportunity to wear his shoes, or is it all flip-flops and verruca socks around the pool?
But, thankfully, the verruca cluster on her right heel is history now.
A plantar wart (verruca plantaris) shows up on the sole of the foot (“plantar” means “foot”), and walking around barefoot can be all it takes to catch it.
A wart (verruca), on the other hand, is an excessive growth of some skin structures.
Carole Malone got evicted from Celebrity Big Brother because she's less famous than a verruca we had when we were six, Jackiey Budden got evicted from Celebrity Big Brother because she's about as likable as that verruca was when it started spraying frothy green pus into our eyes, and Jade Goody got evicted from Celebrity Big Brother because she's more racist than all of the Ku Klux Klan put together.
She wrote that when she had worn a pair of Diana's shoes she caught a verruca — plantar wart — from them.
Bristol — a common prostitute, sir, who had got all the worst symptoms of the disorder; such as nodi, tophi, and gummata, verruca, cristoe Galli, and a serpiginous eruption, or rather a pocky itch all over her body.
Verruca vulgaris, verruca plana, verruca plana juvenilis, verruca digitata, verruca filifortnis and verruca acuminata.