from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A small bulb or bulblike structure in the place of a flower or in a leaf axil, as in a tiger lily.
  • n. A bulblet.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A bulb-shaped bud in the place of a flower or in a leaf axil

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small or secondary bulb; hence, now almost exclusively: An aërial bulb or deciduous bud, produced in the leaf axils, as in the tiger lily, or relpacing the flowers, as in some onions, and capable, when separated, of propagating the plant; -- called also bulblet and brood bud.
  • n. A small hollow bulb, such as an enlargement in a small vessel or tube.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as bulblet.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. small bulb or bulb-shaped growth arising from the leaf axil or in the place of flowers


French bulbille, diminutive of bulbe, bulb, from Latin bulbus; see bulb.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.